Friday, December 29, 2017


THIS week newly restored ruins in the ancient city of Pompeii, with intricate mosaic tiles, bathhouses and even graffiti were officially unveiled to the public after a lengthy restoration process.

The Italian Minister of Culture, Dario Francheschini, inaugurated the buildings which are now open to visitors for the first time.

Among them is the House of the Lararium, situated on the Via dell'Abbondanza. It is also known as the House of the Lararium of Achilles as well as  the House of the Ilion Sanctuary. 

The house was first excavated between 1912 and 1913 and derives its name from a small room in the south west corner of the atrium referred   to as the 'Lararium'.

The flowered lararium house retains much of its original wall paintings, as well as an area intended for worship which is decorated with flying cupids and scattered flowers.

A large room overlooking the garden has mythological squares in the centre of yellow panels.

One room has a fine mosaic floor and its walls are decorated with a painting depicting two life-sized elephants ridden by cupids.

Pompeii was devastated by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. But the ash and rock preserved much of the city, providing a snapshot of life nearly 2,000 years ago. 

But over the years, flooding, excess tourism and neglect have contributed to the deterioration of the site.

Only a few years ago, Pompeii was synonymous with decaying or COLLAPSING RUINS and labor disputes that prevented tourists from visiting the site. Collapsing structures were attributed to poor maintenance.

The restoration project is the result of a 2012 partnership between the EU's European Commission and Italian authorities. 

The partnership spent 150 million Euros for 12 projects geared towards consolidating "high risk" structures, building a drainage system, and restoring artifacts at the UNESCO World Heritage site situated near Naples, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment